Candidates for the baccalaureate degree must file an application for a graduation check one year (two semesters) prior to the semester in which they anticipate completing all requirements for a degree. Undergraduate candidates for January 2024 must apply for graduation by September 3, 2023. Complete information and instructions about the entire graduation check process for undergraduates are available at  https://records.fullerton.edu/graduation/index.php.

Candidates for January 2024 master's and doctorate degrees must file a request for a graduation check on or before September 11, 2023. The form to accomplish this is available on your student portal under "Self Service" (click on Other Academics).

A change in anticipated date of graduation may be requested by emailing the Graduation Unit at gradunit@fullerton.eduOpens in new window for undergraduate students, and with contacting the Graduate Studies Office (CP-950) for graduate students.


The university uses a combination of traditional and nontraditional grading options as follows:


  • Letter Grades: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F


  • CR - C (2.0) grade or better in undergraduate courses; B (3.0) or better in graduate courses.
  • NC - No credit

Students may indicate the grading basis for each course when they register. They have until the deadline published in the front cover of the registration guide to change an option. If grading for a course is listed as "Undergraduate Student Option," the course can be taken either for a letter grade (A,B,C,D) or as credit/no credit. If no option is chosen, the course will default to letter grade. Certain faculty-designated courses may solely be taken as graded or as credit/no credit. To change the option from letter grade to Credit/No Credit or from Credit/No Credit to a letter grade, use the pull down menu under "Grading" at the time you enroll in the class. Grade basis can be made online through the second week of classes.

A letter grade (A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F) must be used by all undergraduate students for major, minor and general education requirements.

A letter grade (A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F) must be used by graduate students for all required courses.

Exceptions are those courses designed by the faculty to be graded Letter Grade Only or CR/NC Only.

Students should know that there is a limitation on the number of courses which can be taken with the nontraditional grading basis. A maximum of 36 units of credit/no credit courses, including those transferred from other institutions, may be counted toward the baccalaureate. Limited courses with a grade of CR may be used for the master's or doctorate degree. A detailed description of the grading policy and definition of symbols used may be found in the current catalog.

Advisory caution

Undergraduate students who plan to pursue graduate or professional studies later are advised to be selective in opting for courses on a credit/no credit basis. As a general rule (advisory only), coursework that is preparatory or prerequisite to advanced specialized study should be completed and evaluated on a letter grade and not a credit/no credit.



The symbol 'I' (Incomplete Authorized) signifies that a portion of the required coursework for a class has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period, due to unforeseen but fully justified reasons, and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements which must be satisfied to remove the incomplete. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated.

An incomplete must be made up within one year following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an Incomplete being changed to an IC symbol or an NC unless faculty member assigns a specific letter grade at the time the incomplete is assigned, which would replace the 'I' in the student's record at the end of the one year deadline. Therefore, 'I' grades that were earned for the Spring 2023 semester must be completed by May 24, 2024. 'I' grades assigned at the end of the Fall 2023 semester must be completed by January 2, 2025.

The IC symbol counts as a failing grade for grade point average and grade point balance computations.

A grade of incomplete may be given only when, in the opinion of the instructor, a student cannot complete a course during the semester of enrollment for reasons beyond the student's control. Such reasons are assumed to include: illness of the student or of members of the student's immediate family, extraordinary financial problems, loss of outside position, and other exigencies. In assigning a grade of 'I', the instructor shall submit the online Incomplete Grade Form for future reference and student access. The requirements shall not include retaking the course. The instructor will also designate a time limit (up to one year) for completing requirements.

A copy of the form will be sent to the student. The student should review this form at the earliest opportunity.

The form will indicate the quality of the student's work to date. This not only provides an interim evaluation for the student but assists the department chair in assigning a final grade in those instances where the instructor is no longer available. When specific requirements are completed, the instructor will report a change of grade. The responsibility for changing the Incomplete grade rests with the instructor.