Withdrawal - FAQs


Please read carefully before requesting a withdrawal from a course.

Summer 2024 withdrawal Form


Non-Medical Withdrawal

Medical Withdrawal

Deadline for Summer 2024

Visit Summer Session 2024 Deadlines

Visit Summer Session 2024 Deadlines
Deadline for Fall 2024 Friday, November 15, 2024 Friday, December 6, 2024

Types of Withdrawal

A   Non-Medical Withdrawal may be done due to changes in your employment hours, family needs, financial issues, and other issues related to time and ability to show up to class and do your work with success.   Please upload required documentation to support your non-medical withdrawal request.  This withdraw request will be reviewed by the course instructor and the Chair of the department under which the course is listed for merit. These withdrawals are for serious personal life situations and you must demonstrate a compelling reason to withdraw. The student may use this type of withdrawal for one or more classes. This should only be done if an Incomplete is not possible.

When approved, a Non-medical Withdrawal results in a W for every course in the withdrawal term on your transcript.  

If you intend to submit a Medical Withdrawal Request, you must upload credible medical documentation with your request.  Failure to submit proper medical documentation for a medical request will result in your form being rejected.  A medical withdrawal shall be petitioned for medical, mental, psychological, emotional, and physical issues that can be documented by an appropriate medical professional.  Medical withdrawals typically involve withdrawal from all classes. Failure to provide documentation will result in your form being rejected. When approved, these medical withdrawn units do not apply to your Undergraduate Withdrawal Limit.  

Content included on this form is not confidential as some information provided may be shared with appropriate campus departments or local law enforcement agencies as required by state or federal laws or system-wide policies. Specifically, any disclosures of discrimination, harassment and/or retaliation (which includes discrimination and/or harassment based on a protected status, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking) will be forwarded to the Title IX Coordinator and/or Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (DHR) Administrator. Disclosures of current or past child abuse, neglect, or elder abuse must be reported to appropriate law enforcement or other protective agencies as required by state and federal laws.


Once student initated non-medical withdrawal request online, the request will be routed to the instructor of the course for approval or denial.  If approve, the request will be routed to the department chair for approval or denial.  Once approved by both the instructor and the department chair, the request will be sent to Office of the Registrar to process. Additionally, International students must receive approval from Extension and International Programs to withdraw from coursework.

For extension credit programs deadlines, please refer to your program website on extension.fullerton.edu 


Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course


Students who are not attending a class in which they are enrolled are required to take action to drop or withdraw from the class. Failure to do so will result in a failing grade (F or WU) being recorded on the student's academic record. It is important for students to understand that the University will not automatically remove them from a class for non-payment of fees or non-attendance by the instructor.

Responsibility lies with the student to adjust their enrollment by the specified deadlines to avoid charges or to be eligible for a full or pro-rated refund. For a full refund, students must drop all classes before the first day of the session. After the session begins, dropping or withdrawing from classes will result in pro-rated fees being charged based on the date of the action.

Distinguishing between dropping and withdrawing from a class is crucial and depends on timing:

Dropping a course Withdrawing a course
Dropping occurs before the "last day to drop a class without a grade of W". Dropping can be done online without departmental approval, but students should be aware of potential impacts on tuition calculation and financial aid. The dropped class(es) will not be included on your transcript and the units will not count toward the Undergraduate Withdrawal Limit.
Deadline: visit  Summer Session 2024 Deadlines
Withdrawing occurs immediately after the "last day to drop a class without a grade of W." You should consider the consequences and consult with an academic advisor before withdrawing, as it may affect progress towards a degree, future course enrollment, and financial aid eligibility. When a student withdraws from a class, a "W" symbol will be recorded on their transcript, indicating an attempt at the class without completion for a letter grade.
Deadline: visit  Summer Session 2024 Deadlines

The Undergraduate Withdrawal Limit policy stipulates that students may withdraw from a maximum of 18 units throughout their entire undergraduate tenure at CSUF, encompassing special sessions, enrollment in EIP programs, and re-enrollment following separation from the University. Once this limit is reached, further withdrawals are prohibited, and students must remain enrolled. Grades appropriate to the situation will be assigned by instructors.

Students can track their progress towards the Undergraduate Withdrawal Limit by accessing their Student Center and selecting "Withdrawal/Repeats" from the Academics section's pull-down menu. Support for completing withdrawal forms is available through resources provided for both students and faculty.

Additional information is available regarding distinctions between medical and non-medical withdrawals, along with guidelines for providing medical documentation and submitting requests for medical withdrawals.

For Student: Instructions for filling out Withdrawal Form

For Faculty: Instruction for reviewing Withdrawal request

Guidelines for Medical Documentation | Medical Withdrawal Requests

Students who seek a full or partial medical withdrawal should secure appropriate documentation prior to completing the online medical withdrawal form.  Students must obtain appropriate original documentation from a medical or mental health professional that verifies the condition that impairs the student’s ability to function safely and successfully in the course or courses the student seeks to withdraw.

Two options meet the medical documentation requirement.

  1. Students can submit a Medical/Mental Health Professional FormPDF File

  2. Students can submit a letter from student's health care provider*. If a student decides to submit a letter from their health care provider*, that letter must include all of the following:
    • Official letterhead including name and title of attending health care provider with phone number and address of medical or mental health facility
    • Date of the onset of student's symptoms prohibiting them to perform academically
    • General description of the student's medical condition; why/how it prevents them from completing their coursework; and statement indicating if the provider recommends withdrawal from all or some of their courses.

If your medical or mental health provider is from the Student Health Center or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), the Attendance Verification form will not meet this documentation requirement. 

Medical/Mental Health Professional FormPDF File is sufficient medical documentation in lieu of a letter from the medical provider.

View samples of sufficient medical documentations/letters

Medical charts, notes, lab results, x-rays, hospital records, discharge papers, police reports and medically related pictures/images are not sufficient medical documentation  for a medical withdrawal petition.  DO NOT UPLOAD these items.

Consult with your doctor or counselor about your Medical or Mental Health Withdrawal request and show them this document for clarification. Request appropriate documentation.


back to top

This site is maintained by CSUF Office of the Registrar.

Last Published 5/31/24

To report problems or comments with this site, please contact arwebmaster@fullerton.edu.
© California State University, Fullerton. All Rights Reserved.

Web Accessibility

CSUF is committed to ensuring equal accessibility to our users. Let us know about any accessibility problems you encounter using this website.
We'll do our best to improve things and get you the information you need.