Enroll in Early Start Classes
Early Start Program
The Early Start Program (ESP) welcomes first-time freshman students to develop readiness for college-level English (A2) and Math (B4) in the summer prior to enrolling at a CSU. The goal is to increase the opportunity to complete their college degree. Based on the results of Multiple Measures, students may be required or recommended to participate in the CSU Early Start Program.
The following students are exempt from participating in the Early Start Program:
- Students who met the multiple measures criteria for English and Math;
- International students (F-1 and J-1 visas only);
- Non-resident students who reside outside of California;
- Students in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Summer Bridge Program.
FALL ADMISSION, TESTING AND REGISTRATION KEY DATES
|Application Deadline||November 30, 2021|
|Take SAT/ACT (Not required for Fall 2022)||No Later than December 2021|
|CSUF Admission Notifications Begin||Early February 2022|
|All CSUF Freshmen Admissions Decisions Sent||April 1, 2022|
|Begin Declaring Where Early Start Will Be Completed||May 3, 2022|
|Deadline to Accept CSUF Offer of Admission||May 1, 2022|
|Begin Registration for Early Start Courses||May 12, 2022|
|Deadline to Declare Where Early Start Will be Completed||June 1, 2022|
|Deadline to Complete Early Start Activities||August 7, 2022|
WHO MUST PARTICIPATE IN THE EARLY START PROGRAM?
- Students who require additional support based on multiple measures in Math and English and receive an email notification from the Admissions Office. Only these selected students will be eligible to participate in the Early Start Program
- Exemptions - The following students will not be required to participate in Early Start: International students and residents of other states.
HOW CAN I FULFILL THE EARLY START PROGRAM REQUIREMENT?
- CSUF freshmen will be encouraged to complete their Early Start Program activities on our campus if at all possible. This will afford them an opportunity to begin to integrate into the campus and will provide the smoothest transition to their fall English or math instruction. Courses are scheduled between mid-June and early August.
- Students may also participate in an Early Start program offered at any other CSU campus. This may be appropriate for non-local students. Some CSU campuses are planning to offer on-line course options as well.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
- Early Start Programs offered at any of the CSU campuses will have a common fee. The fee for Summer 2022 is $191 per unit plus $2 in other mandatory fees. Campus parking and course instruction materials may also be charged.
- California residents who apply for financial aid or the California Dream Act and have an Estimated Family Contribution of $6,000 or less will be eligible for a waiver of the per unit fee.
HOW DO I DECLARE WHERE I WILL TAKE EARLY START?
Admitted students who have accepted their admission offer complete the Early Start page to indicate which institution they will attend for Early Start. Students enroll from the Student Homepage in their portal.
Please follow the following steps:
- Click on the Admissions tile
- Select the Early Start Program link to complete the Early Start Page
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT EARLY START CLASSES TO TAKE?
Your placement is based on multiple measures including, GPA, test scores, number of years completed in subject specific courses, and intended major. In addition, Early Start students will be sent detailed information when it is time to register for these courses.
WHAT COURSES WILL CSUF OFFER THAT SATISFY THIS REQUIREMENT?
For majors Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Geology, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Business, you register for:
- ESM 115A - College Algebra A
For any other major, you may register for:
- ESM 110/10S - Mathematics for Liberal Arts or
- ESM 120/20S - Elementary Statistics
All majors, you may register for:
- ESE 101P - Preparatory College Writing
All courses are offer during the Summer session C - June 27 through August 5
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR EARLY START?
Eligible Early Start students will be sent an email communication when you may submit your Early Start page through your Student Homepage. Once you have selected the campus you will be taking your Early Start course(s), a second email communication will be sent by the campus you selected.
To register for the Early Start course(s) at CSU Fullerton, follow these steps:
You may watch the video “How to Register for Classes”
- Log on to campus portal using your username and password
- Select the Student Homepage icon
- Select the Manage Classes tile
- Click the Class Search and Enroll
- Select the Term (Summer 20XX)
- Enter the course on the Search for Classes tab
- Select the course that meets the Early Start requirements
- Click the Submit tab
- A confirmation screen will confirm if course(s) were added to your schedule
HOW AND WHEN DO I PAY FOR EARLY START?
Unless you qualify for the Early Start Financial Aid Waiver, fees are due the same day as online registration for the Early Start Program. Make an online payment through the Student Homepage by selecting the "Make a Payment" link on the Financial Account tile. Card payments are accepted online with a 2.65% non-refundable merchant fee or with your bank account information (electronic check) for no additional cost. A drop-box is available for in-person check payments at window #10 outside Gordon Hall 180 (include your Campus-Wide ID number on the check).
- Log on to campus portal
- Select the Student Homepage icon
- Select the Financial Account tile
- Select the “Make a Payment” link
WHAT HAPPENS IF I CANNOT ATTEND EARLY START?
It is essential that you drop the class via your student homepage soon as you know you cannot attend so that the seat may be offered to other students. The final deadline to drop Early Start classes is the day before the class begins. Remember to sign up for another section to ensure completion of the required program. If you do not drop before the deadline and do not attend the Early Start course, you will be responsible for payment, and you will receive a grade of NC (No Credit) on your transcript.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I COMPLETE EARLY START?
You will receive a letter grade for the Early Start Mathematics course and/or Early Start Writing course. You will receive a grade of CR or NC (No Credit) for ESM 10S and ESM 20S. The grades of CR indicate that you have satisfied the Early Start Requirement.